2013/04/13

"L" is for..................

“Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.”
When I hear this proverb, I think of instances where a person (let’s say they are an honor roll student) becomes friends with people who are troublemakers. Usually, the honor student would be “guilty by association” (which means that because he/she is friends with people who cause trouble, others would assume he/she is a troublemaker as well). In a lot of cases, the honor student would start to adopt characteristics of the troublemakers. Maybe the troublemakers involved the student in a situation that was dangerous or illegal and they face danger or jail-time.
Anyway, we see this often with normally “good” kids getting involved in gangs and then ruining their lives.
And so, to me this proverb means that:
You will become like the company you keep.

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I think that's a good explanation for the phrase.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, but so true! It's too bad it doesn't work the other way around!

    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge list to say "Hi" :)

    Wow, I've never heard that proverb! :(

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard that proverb, either, but I might start using it on my son. I like your theme for A to Z. Original.

    ReplyDelete