2013/04/08

"G" is for..................

Good swimmers are often drowned.

This proverb warns of overconfidence (being too confident).
I can think of many times when I let my confidence in my ability to become too great, and as a result, I failed badly.

I will use sports as an example:

I am decent at basketball. Once, I was having a great game and then I let myself get overly confident. I started joking to the other player, "You can't score on me". But, then the game changed. I started missing shots. I couldn't block shots. My overconfidence had overshadowed (become greater than) my ability, and I could no longer focus on the game.

That is what this proverb means to me:

Beware of letting your competence (ability) lead you into overconfidence.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of this proverb. Where does it come from? --Yes, be careful with being over confident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a great lesson to be learned here. When the ego takes over, we lose touch with the action.
    Francene.
    A - Z Challenge
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete