2013/04/10

"I" is for...............

"If the shoe fits, wear it."

There are times when we lose a sense of self. I just mean that....sometimes, it takes other people to point out the things we are doing wrong in life (or our flaws) in order for us to see them.  But, maybe we don't want to accept those things as truths. "It can't be me that they are talking about!", we may feel.

With this proverb, I imagine someone saying to me, "April. See this shoe? It is yours. Take it."
I may say to this person, "But, it can't be my shoe. It doesn't complement me. It is rather ugly."
They will try to assure me that this ugly shoe is mine. Others may come and assure me that this shoe is mine.
And so....I try it on. It's a perfect fit!
"How can this be?", I may say to myself. "When did something of mine become so ugly?"
But, it fits. Everyone assured me that it would, and it really fits. And so, I must accept what they are saying as truth, and wear the shoe.

To me, this proverb means that:

We should accept accurate descriptions of ourselves, even if they are not flattering.

In my thoughts above, I didn't want to accept that something so ugly could be mine even though others assured me it was. But in the end, because it fit me, I had to accept it. I had to wear it.
Of course, I am speaking of our character, and how we portray ourselves to others. And of accepting other people's opinions about our characters.

No one wants to hear about their bad traits, or if they are portraying themselves badly to others. But, if others are saying the same things....if they are all pointing it out....it should be accepted, no matter how bad it is. If it fits....wear it. Accept it.

Because only then can you make a change.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing post. Shoes grabbed my attention -- I love shoes. Then you twisted the meaning -- wow.

    Great post for the challenge. You might like my blog, MM's Fundamentals of English.

    ReplyDelete