2013/02/13

Words With Alternate Meanings #1

Sometimes you may hear words that are used in a way you may not be familiar with because they have multiple meanings. I know I struggle with this in my own language-learning studies.

Let's look at the word "pretty", for example.
We know "pretty" is an adjective that means "attractive in a delicate way".

(Example: Amy is very pretty, today.)

But, "pretty" has several other meanings, also:

Pretty (adverb) = a moderately high degree.
(Examples: I am pretty tired. ( = I am very tired.)
(She was pretty mean to him at the party.) ( = She was very mean to him at the party.)

Pretty (noun) = an attractive thing, usually an accessory such as jewelry.
(Example: She bought a ring, a bracelet, and various other pretties.)

Pretty (adverb) = to make attractive

(Example: She prettied herself up for the party.)
Talk About It~~

Have you heard this word used in alternate ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment